Saturday, September 1, 2012

Week 2...

So after week 2 things are starting to look up. I'm getting more comfortable and familiar at the hospital and I actually know my way TO and FROM the hospital now, so that in itself means a lot less stress and panic.

I went out to a few places last weekend. An Irish pub, which I've always wanted to go to so that was cool. Although it wasnt quite like you see in the movies, with drunk Irish guys singing Irish songs. This one was...well...drunk Finnish guys singing English songs LOL. Finnish men sure do like to drink! We also went to the Aussie Bar, which was a lot different than anything I've ever see. Guys dancing on the top stairs taking their shirts off and throwing them around. Crowd surfing! And holy was it crowded. If you appreciate being able to breathe, you probably don't wanna go there! I was completely sober so it was interesting but definitely something you'd need to be really drunk to enjoy for a long period of time. Even the Finnish girls I was with agreed!

I went to a cute little cafe along the water. Could be a very romantic place. It's small and quaint, with seating outside. They supply blankets if you get chilly. There is a big fire pit and you can buy hotdogs and smokeys raw roast on the fire. There are big ships in the water right next to it. You can go canoeing. Anyway, just a nice little relaxing place.  Oh, and there's no set closing time, it closes after the sun sets. Cool!

The last place I went was the amusement park.  It's open all summer long, not just one week a year! For 22 euros I got a 3 hour ride pass, which happened to be great cuz the lineups weren't bad at all. Along with the rides they also have a "skyscraper" type of thing that you got in, and it goes up to the top and spins around slowly so you can see the city. It's free to go up, and it's free to get into the park. So for no money at all, you can see Helsinki from...really high up!

This week was working again, like last week, but thats okay. Thats life and I've come to terms with that. As much as it sucks that I'm missing out on so much, at least I can say I've been here, right? How many of you can say that?!?!?  Exactly.

Last night (Friday) I went out with a friend and her roomates and their friends and their friends. It was the Metropolia (our Finnish university) welcome party at a club. It was EXACTLY what you'd picture a real club being. Chest throbbing music, flashing strobe lights, and a jam packed dance floor. At first I felt uncomfortable - my balance and coordination or lack of dont make for great dance moves - but after a couple drinks I figured what the heck, I'm in Helsinki at a club, again, who can say they've done that?  And who cares if I suck at dancing??  They're all too drunk to give a s*%@. The best part was the place was full of other exchange students rather than a bunch of Finnish people so I met people from all over. We even had a guy come up to us and say "I hear you girls are from Canada". And let me tell you, I've always been one to say most Canadians don't have accents but as SOON as he opened his mouth I knew he was one of us. Kingston Ontario!  Only the second other Canadian I've met here (the first was at the Irish pub - from SASKATCHEWAN - Watson, outside of Saskatoon. I'm not sure what the chances are but I'm sure they're pretty slim!

So at 2 we headed back to the bus and on the way stopped for a corndog, great way to end a night of drinking! 

No comments:

Post a Comment